Wisconsin Safe Operation of Tractor and Machinery Certification Program
Kenosha, Racine and Walworth counties are working together to provide a tractor safety course for youth ages 12-15. It is required by the state of Wisconsin that any youth under the age of 16 that is driving farming implements on roads be certified and participate in a Wisconsin Safe Operation of Tractor and Machinery Certification Program. See Wisconsin Act 455 below.
Tractor Safety courses are held at the Burlington High School. Classes are a total of 24 hours in length. The classes are Monday through Friday 8am – Noon with testing occurring on the following Monday from 8am – Noon.
Wisconsin Tractor Safety Course Information
The 2015 Class will be held June 15 – 19 and June 22, 2015
Time: 8am – Noon
Where: Burlington High School
To register, download 2015 Tractor Safety Registration Flyer, print and mail with payment.
This class is very interactive and youth spend approximately half of the class time driving farm implements. The other half is spent in a classroom setting. Activities including learning general first aid and putting together a first aid kit. Posters, pictures and textbook assignments are also a part of the course.
Points to Ponder
- 82% of fatalities involving youth under the age of 16 result from farm implements.
- Youth under the age of 14 are involved in nine times more accidents than operators who are between the ages of 25-44.
- Youth under the age of 15 are involved in more accidents while driving on public roads.
- Common causes of accidents are inexperience, lack of maturity, and the inability to react quickly when confronted with a dangerous situation.
Wisconsin Act 455, Section 10, Section 346.925 states:
“Operation of agricultural machinery by youthful operators
(1) After April 30, 1996 no person may direct or permit a child under the age of 16 years to operate a farm tractor or self-propelled implement of husbandry on the highway unless the child has been certified as successfully completing a tractor and machinery operation safety training course that is equivalent to the requirements other than age, specified under 29 CFR part 570.70
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to operation of a farm tractor or self-propelled implement of husbandry on the highway on a course that is perpendicular to the direction of the highway.”
19600 75th Street
Bristol, WI 53104
209 North Main Street
Burlington, WI 53105
Kenosha County UW-Extension