Youth Tractor & Machinery Safety Certification
When: June 20-24 & 27, 2016
Time: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Where: Burlington High School
UW-Extension of Walworth, Racine, and Kenosha Counties. UW-Extension developed the program to allow families to be in compliance with Wisconsin Act 455, Section 10 which creates section 346.925 of the state statutes (see below).
Points to Ponder
- 82% of fatalities involving youth under the age of 16 result from farm implements.
- Youth under the age of 14 are involved in nine times more accidents than operators who are between the ages of 25-44.
- Youth under the age of 15 are involved in more accidents while driving on public roads.
- Common causes of accidents are inexperience, lack of maturity, and the inability to react quickly when confronted with a dangerous situation.
Wisconsin Act 455, Section 10, Section 346.925 states:
“Operation of agricultural machinery by youthful operators
(1) After April 30, 1996 no person may direct or permit a child under the age of 16 years to operate a farm tractor or self-propelled implement of husbandry on the highway unless the child has been certified as successfully completing a tractor and machinery operation safety training course that is equivalent to the requirements other than age, specified under 29 CFR part 570.70
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to operation of a farm tractor or self-propelled implement of husbandry on the highway on a course that is perpendicular to the direction of the highway.”
Kenosha County UW-Extension
19600 75th Street
Bristol, WI 53104
Racine County UW-Extension
209 North Main Street
Burlington, WI 53105